Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year! We here at MIMS PTO are so excited for the upcoming year and all of the fun things we have planned. We hope you’ll join us! From a photo opportunity to Spirit Day to a first day BooHoo/WooHoo, here’s are the details of what’s happening the week of Monday 8/23:
- First Day (or week) Photos: We have signs set up near the Spark Park (between the staff parking lot & main parking lot) so that you can snap back to school photos of your MIMS students!
- Monday morning: from 8-8:30am, our PTO president will be available to take pictures with his camera. Digitals with watermarks will be available for free. 5×7 prints will be $5 each, 8×10 prints will be $10 each, and a print of either size comes with a non-watermarked digital copy.
- If you’d rather take photos yourself, the signs will stay up until 5pm Friday 8/27, rain or shine. Hopefully this will alleviate any crowding near the signs; please remember to observe social distancing guidelines.
- If you’d like to share your photos with the PTO and the yearbook crew, email them to [email protected], include your child’s name, and make sure you sign a photo release (these should be sent home along with lots of other standard beginning-of-year paperwork).
- Spirit Day: We’re excited to kick off this year’s Spirit Days with an all day one at Tom n Tom’s, Galleria location! Tom n Tom’s is located conveniently close to MIMS (5353 W Alabama, suite 107), and has delicious coffee and snacks. Stop by any time (they’re open 7am-6pm) on Monday August 23, and MIMS PTO will receive 25% of the proceeds. Check out the menu on their website, here.
- BooHoo/WooHoo: We will have a shade canopy set up on the Spark Park from 8:30-10:30am on Monday August 23 so that MIMS families can meet and mingle after sending their students in to school. Whether you’re BooHoo-ing about sending your kids off to school, or WooHoo-ing that your house will finally get some peace and quiet, join us to talk about it! I plan to walk over to Tom n Tom’s after sending my kiddos in to school, and then come back to the Spark Park to enjoy my coffee with friends.
- Spirit Wear: Uniforms that were purchased through the Spirit Store before August 11 will unfortunately not be available to pick up until Friday 8/27, between 8:30-10:30am. We will also have a bin to accept any last minute donations of clean, gently used uniforms or Chinese costumes. If you missed donating over the summer, here’s your chance to make sure your outgrown items go to a good home.
- Yard Signs: If you’re a new MIMS family, or just didn’t get a chance to purchase a yard sign last year, now is a great time to get one! Unlike a neighborhood school, MIMS has students from all over Houston and no zoned attendees. When I put out my own yard sign last year, I was surprised by how many of my neighbors didn’t even know that HISD had a Mandarin Immersion school. Raise awareness & show off your MIMS pride by purchasing your own sign. We have them in stock, and will have some on hand for purchasing Monday morning.
- Membership & Incentives: While all parents, guardians, teachers, & staff are automatically members of the MIMS PTO, we hope you’ll consider getting to know more about us & getting involved this year. First, please join, here, so that we can include you in our directory. Then check out the committees we have planned for this year, and sign up to volunteer, here. If you have an idea for a committee, or a special talent or skill that you think could make our PTO better, please let us know! You can use the contact form, or email [email protected] Once you’re all signed up, head to our Spirit Store to make a donation. Membership is always free, but your donations are what allow us to plan fun and enriching activities and events for our school. This year, we are adding membership incentives as well! We have vinyl stickers that will be given exclusively to our donors & volunteers, as well as giveaways of some of our popular spirit items for bigger donations.