Hi MIMS families! Lots going on at MIMS and around the district. Most importantly to us – it’s the week of our Fall Fundraising Festival. Thanks for all the sociables you’re hosting and auction items …
Thank you for coming to celebrate Grandparents day and Mid autumn festival with us! Ms. Liu and the volunteers did a great job with organizing Grandparents’ Day lunch on Friday and we’ve heard the kids …
Hi all – Especially until we have our new platform, I’ll try to put everything I can up here on the PTO website. Please share with your MIMS friends! What’s in this message Scroll down …
Hi families – Just a quick update for you on our communications options. Right now, both PTO and MIMS Admin use LivingTree to do “push” communications (meaning those that email or text you). Unfortunately, LivingTree …
Our Mid-Autumn art contest was such fun!
We owe a huge thank you to Ms. YuTing Chen for leading her middle school students through the process on a very tight timeline.
The students voted for the winning design, and we love the one they chose! Here is the winning student’s (adorable) completed painting:
We appreciate all of the students who participated in the contest, and will be distributing Mad Potter gift cards to the artists who created the top 4 designs ($50 for first place, $30 for second place, and $20 each for the students who tied for third place.) Thank you to our anonymous donor for providing these prizes, so that we could ensure all proceeds from the kit sales went directly to MIMS.
We would also like to thank the many parent and student volunteers who helped with tracing the design onto nearly 200 canvases, and assembling and distributing the kits!
If you have pictures of your little artists painting their canvases or if they have finished paintings that they’d like to share, please send to [email protected]. We love seeing our students engaged in creative activities that support our school. Check out this masterpiece, painted by 1st grade student Aria.
And of course, thank you to all of the parents who purchased the kits! Your support of our students’ art enabled us to raise over $1800 for our school. We look forward to collaborating with Ms. Chen and her talented students again in the future!
A big congratulations to our newly elected SDMC parent representative, Mounia Bensouda!
And a big thank you to everyone who voted. We apologize that there was no time for a Q&A session; our priority was filling the vacant spot in time for the upcoming SDMC meeting. Since the two SDMC parent reps serve alternating 2-year terms, we will have another election in the spring. When setting that timeline, we’ll be sure to allow time for everyone to get to know the nominees.
We hope that everyone has enjoyed their Mid-Autumn Festival activities! Our auction will remain live until October 1, so be sure to go check out all of our great auction items and instabuys.
Today we want to thank our most generous sponsor, Be Healthy USA, who graciously donated over $2500 worth of masks and hand sanitizers to MIMS! With this donation, we were able to provide a free KF94 mask for every MIMS staff member. We also included a freebie in each Art Kit that we sold.
The KF94 masks that we received are the Korean equivalent of the US’s N95, or China’s KN95. Be Healthy USA sells both 2d (clamshell shape) and 3d (flaps that unfold at top and bottom) masks, so everyone can find a shape that feels comfortable for them. Both shapes offer great protection against COVID, fine dust particles, and whatever else you don’t want to breathe in. The masks also come in various sizes, colors, and prints. Whether you want a professional looking mask to wear to work, or your child wants an adorable mask covered in dinosaurs, Be Healthy USA has got your family covered and protected!
In addition to the single use KF94 masks, Be Healthy USA also sells reusable masks, Korean cosmetics, ginseng, heating and cooling mats, and golf wear. They import only premium products from South Korea, and then they ship them (free!) to anywhere in the US. Skin care enthusiasts will know that K-beauty is widely considered the absolute best, and I am so excited to check out their sheet masks.
We are so grateful for the support that Be Healthy USA has shown MIMS, and we hope that you will show them your support when you find yourself in need of high quality masks and other Korean goods!
Go HERE to access our auction! You can browse, register, bid on auction items, and sign up to attend sociables hosted by our own awesome MIMS families! If you’d like a registration link sent to your phone, text Midautumn (all one word) to 72727.
The auction will stay open for one week. Place your bids & make your purchases before 9pm on October 1.
We also need to give a HUGE thank you to the many individuals, families, and business who donated their time, money, and items to support our school! Our sponsors and donors include:
Phoenix ($500+): Trotter Family YMCA
Silver ($150+): Soccer Shots Houston, Local Foods Tanglewood, CedarYu, Martha Harrer, Timothy Contreras of Hungry’s, Sophia Wong & Asia Society, Young Leong, Dr. Caroline Long & West U Wellness, Rodney Jackson, Jemine Oakes & The Flora Culture, Nurture Pediatrics, Lily Mello & Houston Texans,
Other donors: Houston Museum of Natural Science, Houston Arboretum, The Mad Potter, Pinspiration Houston Heights, Nothing Bundt Cake, Wei Liu, Jin Huang, Minjie Reuben & Baylor Aesthetics, Houston Rockets, Mitch Shih, Southwell’s
Voting is open 9/23, 7am-midnight. Cast your vote here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfcUfYJSajR_2-3b1ONriCEpcg8eYz8cbnbv7QtwTTpe7gB2g/viewform
If you’ve seen our posts about Art Kits, MIMS Got Talent, and our silent auction, you’ll know that Mid-Autumn Festival is almost here! For families who haven’t celebrated before, here are some resources to get you started:
- Learn the story of Hou-Yi and Chang’e: Hou-Yi-Short-Story-Chinese & Hou-Yi-Short-Story-English
- Buy some mooncakes to celebrate. The whole family can share by slicing them into pieces:
- Build a paper lantern as a celebratory activity:
- Enjoy some fun activities:
- Watch a Mid-Autumn movie:
- “Over The Moon” is an animated film available on Netflix. It’s more Mid-Autumn adjacent than it is informative, but it’s a fun and cute way for our littlest learners to get excited about the holiday! (Rated PG)
Hispanic Heritage month happens from September 15- October 15. Our PTO’s Diversity & Heritage committee would like everyone to be aware that the Houston Public Library has a fun fiesta planned to kick off this year’s celebration! Please visit their website HERE for details and to register.
We all love it when our routine purchases can help our school, so we’re bringing you another way to do that! The MIMS PTO is now signed up with Kroger’s Community Rewards program. To sign up, go to Kroger’s community rewards page, HERE. You’ll need to login, or create an account if you don’t have one. Then you can choose Mandarin Immersion Magnet School PTO as your non-profit of choice, either by typing in our name or our code: JI347. That’s it! Be sure to scan or swipe your shopper’s card each time you shop!
The PTO has heard concerns from many families about how we can help keep our students, teachers, and staff safe, and we share your concerns. After consulting with MIMS administrators, we’ve decided to purchase air purifiers with HEPA filtration for every one of our classrooms, and the cafeteria.
As you can imagine, this is a huge undertaking. Some classes have already purchased air purifiers for their rooms, so our goal is to be able to purchase 53 more, plus replacement filters. We are consulting with multiple companies to find the best quality and price, but this will still cost tens of thousands of dollars.
When we have more details about units, pricing, and timeline, we will be sure to share those details. In the meantime, we wanted to open up our donation link to everyone. We can only accomplish this if we all work together, so please give if you are able. MIMS PTO is a 501c3, and can provide tax receipts upon request.
We’ve also gotten questions from families about purchasing plexiglass dividers for the classrooms, and cleaning supplies for their teachers. At this time, all teachers have declined offers of plexiglass, and MIMS is fully stocked with cleaning supplies. We hope you will consider directing your energies towards this project!
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year! We here at MIMS PTO are so excited for the upcoming year and all of the fun things we have planned. We hope you’ll join us! From a photo opportunity to Spirit Day to a first day BooHoo/WooHoo, here’s are the details of what’s happening the week of Monday 8/23:
- First Day (or week) Photos: We have signs set up near the Spark Park (between the staff parking lot & main parking lot) so that you can snap back to school photos of your MIMS students!
- Monday morning: from 8-8:30am, our PTO president will be available to take pictures with his camera. Digitals with watermarks will be available for free. 5×7 prints will be $5 each, 8×10 prints will be $10 each, and a print of either size comes with a non-watermarked digital copy.
- If you’d rather take photos yourself, the signs will stay up until 5pm Friday 8/27, rain or shine. Hopefully this will alleviate any crowding near the signs; please remember to observe social distancing guidelines.
- If you’d like to share your photos with the PTO and the yearbook crew, email them to [email protected], include your child’s name, and make sure you sign a photo release (these should be sent home along with lots of other standard beginning-of-year paperwork).
- Spirit Day: We’re excited to kick off this year’s Spirit Days with an all day one at Tom n Tom’s, Galleria location! Tom n Tom’s is located conveniently close to MIMS (5353 W Alabama, suite 107), and has delicious coffee and snacks. Stop by any time (they’re open 7am-6pm) on Monday August 23, and MIMS PTO will receive 25% of the proceeds. Check out the menu on their website, here.
- BooHoo/WooHoo: We will have a shade canopy set up on the Spark Park from 8:30-10:30am on Monday August 23 so that MIMS families can meet and mingle after sending their students in to school. Whether you’re BooHoo-ing about sending your kids off to school, or WooHoo-ing that your house will finally get some peace and quiet, join us to talk about it! I plan to walk over to Tom n Tom’s after sending my kiddos in to school, and then come back to the Spark Park to enjoy my coffee with friends.
- Spirit Wear: Uniforms that were purchased through the Spirit Store before August 11 will unfortunately not be available to pick up until Friday 8/27, between 8:30-10:30am. We will also have a bin to accept any last minute donations of clean, gently used uniforms or Chinese costumes. If you missed donating over the summer, here’s your chance to make sure your outgrown items go to a good home.
- Yard Signs: If you’re a new MIMS family, or just didn’t get a chance to purchase a yard sign last year, now is a great time to get one! Unlike a neighborhood school, MIMS has students from all over Houston and no zoned attendees. When I put out my own yard sign last year, I was surprised by how many of my neighbors didn’t even know that HISD had a Mandarin Immersion school. Raise awareness & show off your MIMS pride by purchasing your own sign. We have them in stock, and will have some on hand for purchasing Monday morning.
- Membership & Incentives: While all parents, guardians, teachers, & staff are automatically members of the MIMS PTO, we hope you’ll consider getting to know more about us & getting involved this year. First, please join, here, so that we can include you in our directory. Then check out the committees we have planned for this year, and sign up to volunteer, here. If you have an idea for a committee, or a special talent or skill that you think could make our PTO better, please let us know! You can use the contact form, or email [email protected] Once you’re all signed up, head to our Spirit Store to make a donation. Membership is always free, but your donations are what allow us to plan fun and enriching activities and events for our school. This year, we are adding membership incentives as well! We have vinyl stickers that will be given exclusively to our donors & volunteers, as well as giveaways of some of our popular spirit items for bigger donations.
As we head into a new school year, the PTO wants to make sure everyone knows about all of the ways they can help MIMS. Fundraising is an important part of what we do. It’s how we are able to organize fun events and enriching activities for our MIMS community, as well as show our appreciation for the MIMS staff members who care for our children.
Today’s fundraising spotlight is on Minted.com. When you use our code ( FUNDRAISEMIMS ) at checkout, you save 20%, and Minted donates 15% to MIMS! It’s a win-win! Minted is known for its cards & stationary (all designed by independent artists), but did you know that they offer so much more? You can get everything from curtains to table linens to custom photo wrapping paper. They have a great selection of gifts for teachers, name labels, and pencil pouches– all perfect for back to school. It’s also worth noting that Minted is committed to diversity, equity, & inclusion, as well as sustainability!
Whatever you’re shopping for this back-to-school season, keep Minted.com and MIMS in mind!
As you read in our PTO email (sent by Mr. Ying), we are working to have a virtual Mid-Autumn fest on our MIMS PTO YouTube Channel!
Our presentation is brought to you with support from Mr. Ying and 6th grader Evan Graham.
What is Mid-Autumn Festival and how do we celebrate?
Next, buy some mooncakes to celebrate. The whole family can share by slicing them into pieces: Where to buy Mooncakes in Houston
Then, build a paper paper lantern as a celebratory activity: Paper-Lantern
During all this, join us when the pre-recorded video will go “live” Thursday, October 1 at 7 PM. You and your family will be able to go back and visit it any time.
This looks very different than how our school usually celebrates but we’re determined to do all we can, and we hope it gets your wheels turning on how we can create more online engagement opportunities and fundraising for our school together.
Thanks to our new PTO President (Kelly) and CNY Chair (Nick) for organizing!
By contributing to the PTO Annual Drive, you help us meet our school’s needs that are outside the scope of their budget. When you go a step further and volunteer to help with events—or join our board— you set a fine example for our students to follow, and greatly encourage our teachers and staff.