When should my child arrive?
School hours for MIMS are 8:30 am to 3:50 pm for the 2021-2022 school year.
What is the earliest my child can arrive?
Doors will open at 8:05 am. Please do not drop students off early unsupervised.
How do I drop off my child?
2020-2021 Drop-off information
Pre-k and Kindergarten students will enter the cafeteria through the Dragon Door. Free breakfast will be offered to them (and eaten) in the cafeteria.
Students in grades 1-5 will enter at the main door, be offered free breakfast, and go directly to their classrooms.
Middle school students will enter the cafeteria through the Phoenix Door. They can pick up free breakfast in the cafeteria, and then will go to the gym.
- Please follow the directions of traffic flow and be courteous when the lanes merge. Be mindful of where you stop or park, and do not block traffic.
- Pedestrian traffic is heavy from 7:45 AM to 8:45 AM and from 3:50 PM to 4:10 PM. Please drive slowly
and be ready to stop for pedestrians.
Parent drop-off: There are two options—car drop-off or park-and-walk. Parking spaces are limited and our neighbors can be unhappy with the level of congestion, so please consider using auto drop- off as soon as you feel comfortable. However, use a parking option if you or your child need more time.
Car drop-off: Enter the auto-loop using the first entrance on Alabama.
Note: The second entrance on Alabama is the teacher parking and bus drop off. Do not park in this lot anytime before 5 pm.
Please drop off your child only at designated area, and always pull your car forward as directed. Please do not leave unnecessary space between your car and the car in front of you.
Park-and-walk: Parking options
- Park in visitor spaces in the main parking lot. Do not park in spaces that are marked as reserved for specific teachers or individuals. Also, please do not use handicapped spots unless you have a current handicapped tag.
- There is also limited parking on the West side of the school (McCulloch), East side (Yorktown), or residential side-streets (as permitted by signs.)
- Do not park in business lots on McCulloch, Yorktown, or Alabama. Neighboring businesses will complain, and you may be towed.
How do I pick up my child at the end of the school day?
2021-2022 Pick Up Information
If you would like to walk up to the door to collect your car-rider OR walker child or children, please have your placard(s) in hand and come to the Phoenix Door only.
If your child is a car-rider and you would like to stay in your car, you will give your placard to MIMS staff as you enter the parking lot. Your student will exit from the Dragon Door, and will be sent to your car with their placard when you reach the front of the line.
If your child is a walker, they will exit the school on their own. Middle schoolers will exit at the main doors, unless they are picking up younger siblings. Elementary student walkers, and middle school student walkers who collect younger siblings, will go to the cafeteria and exit from the Dragon Door.
- Please observe and follow the proper flow of traffic. Our main parking lot gets very crowded in the mornings and afternoons.
- Please do not park in fire lanes or where you are blocking either parked cars or traffic. The car line normally stretches out of the parking lot in the afternoons. If you are waiting in line, please be careful not to block intersections or driveways.
What if I need someone else to pick up my child? (Or if I need to change other transportation arrangements?)
Please contact the main office before 3:15 if you need to pick up early or change transportation arrangements. After 3:15, the office staff has other duties and you will be unable to reach them.
If your child is a walker, please complete the Walker Permission Form AND use this hyperlink to submit the permission form. Please note that you will need your child’s student ID and must use a google account (or your child’s HISD email account) to access the survey.