On this page:
MIMS Resources, HISD Resources, Fun Resources
Quizlet and Better Chinese are the two most-used resources that MIMS teachers use for teaching Chinese. We’ll post other digital resources as they become available.
What is Quizlet?
Quizlet is a free study tool available via online and mobile applications. MIMS teachers use Quizlet to help students practice reading and speaking Chinese. Students can practice Chinese through use of games, flashcards, practice quizzes, and more.
How to Use Quizlet?
Access to Quizlet is by browser or via Quizlet application on your tablet or smartphone. Please note that some of the functions are limited on the tablet and smartphone application. See more at the MIMS Student Resources page.
- Volumes 1-5 Better Chinese
- Expand your Mandarin vocabulary:
What is Better Chinese?
Better Chinese is the curriculum that MIMS uses to teach Chinese. The Chinese vocabulary lists your child uses to study come from here and are also available for you to review online. Your child’s teacher(s) will share login and access information for Better Chinese.
High Frequency Words (HFW)
Each year, students have a list of frequently used Chinese words to learn. Tests to confirm mastery are typically given 3-4 times per year. List of Chinese HFW can be found here for writing practice. These words will also be part of what’s taught in Better Chinese and on Quizlet.
- HISD @ H.O.M.E.: https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/180230
- Online Introductory Course: https://www.houstonisd.org/domain/52296]
- One on One Booking Appointment: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/[email protected]/bookings/
- Service Desk: [email protected] (713-892-7378, 7:30 am-4:30 pm Monday-Friday)
- HISD Hotline: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 713-556-INFO (4636). Operators will answer questions in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Arabic.
- How to access HISD student email
- Your child’s username: Student\S#######
#’s represent your student’s ID Number. For example, Student\S1234568. Make sure to use the backslash key and not the regular slash.
Your child’s password: XXXXXXXX
X’s represent your student’s 8-digit birthday. For example, August 10, 2008 is 08102008
If a student’s email is required, it would be Semail@example.com. Same password as above.
Our kids should know how to navigating the HUB, Office 365 and Teams – If not, here are some refresher webinars!HISD Accessing Technology Supports https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/183042
- Log into HUB: http://www.houstonisd.org/HUB
- Click “Courses”
- Look for letters HMR = Homeroom
Here are a few fun videos many MIMS families enjoy with their children. if you use Netflix, you can also select many shows to play in Chinese under the Language and Captioning.