The PTO sponsors many different committees, each of which would love to have your time and talents! These committees help raise funds for the school, engage in community building among our families and teachers, and support the MIMS values. Of course, the benefits to you are many, including making great friends among the other parents and having fun while you support our students.
The PTO board convenes committees, confirms chairs, and provides budget and support as appropriate. We are still in the process of confirming chairs for this school year. If you have questions or would like to help with a particular committee, please e-mail the PTO to be put in touch with the correct person or fill out our new comprehensive form for joining and indicating volunteer interest.
Here’s a list of our committees & chairs (and which committees are recruiting!), and brief descriptions of the major responsibilities of each. Additional updates coming soon.
- Book Fairs: Plan, organize, and run one or more book fairs throughout the year. Also maintain MIMS’ relationship with Scholastic and their programs.
- Bylaws Review: Will convene every 3 years to review the bylaws or as necessary to take up suggestions.
- Chinese New Year: Plan, organize, and run the annual Chinese New Year Festival. (22-23 Festivals Director: Joe Mendoza)
- Community Fundraising: Solicit donations from local small business, plan and coordinate Spirit Days/Nights with local restaurants. The Community Fundraising Committee will also handle birthday marquee requests. (22-23 Community Fundraising Chair: Maria Cavanaugh)
- Diversity & Heritage Months: In conjunction with MIMS staff, plan and organize events for various diversity & heritage months (Hispanic Heritage Month, Black History Month, AAPI Heritage Month.) – currently recruiting a new chair
- Elementary School Advisory: works with the Elementary School VP to represent needs of elementary school parents and students. (2022-2023 Elementary School VP: Amonee Haley)
- Financial Review (chair: Paul Pinkston): Provide oversight and feedback on financial matters, and increase transparency for PTO members.
- Grants: Work to find grant opportunities, and write grants. (22-23 Corporate Fundraising Chair: Jack Chen Hulland)
- Hospitality: Organize and host various events throughout the year. Events include, but are not limited to: summer play dates for incoming students, coffee chats for parents, welcome events for new parents, first day of school boohoo/woohoo.
- Immigration Committee (chair: Caroline Long): Proactively support MIMS staff with the visa process for H1B and permanent residency.
- International Festival: Organize and run the International Festival in the spring. (22-23 Festivals Director: Joe Mendoza)
- Mid Autumn Festival: Organize and run the Mid Autumn Festival, which is held each fall. (22-23 Festivals Director: Joe Mendoza)
- Middle School Advisory: works with the Middle School School VP to represent needs of middle school parents and students. (22-23 Middle School VP: Emily Shaffer)
- Nominating: Convened each spring to recruit and nominate candidates for the MIMS PTO Executive Board and committee chair roles.
- Recruiting: Ensure we are effectively advertising our school to the HISD community, including at magnet events and tours, and field inquiries from prospective families. Recruitment efforts are currently primarily focused on the Middle School.
- Spark Park (chair: Beth Jenkins): Planning and maintaining our Spark Park, including solicitation of grants for funding and working with architects and contractors to ensure completion of projects.
- Spirit Wear & Spirit Store: Maintain a virtual Spirit Store that sells Spirit Wear and other clothing items and accessories. Items will also sometimes be sold at in-person events.
- Teacher Appreciation (chair: Shavaun Rose): Organize events throughout the year, especially around holidays and Teacher Appreciation Week to show our teachers and staff how much we value them.
- UIL: Work with MIMS staff to advertise and run a UIL team or teams.
- Used Uniforms & Costumes: Collect, store, and distribute clean and gently-used uniforms and Chinese costumes. Uniforms are mainly collected and distributed at the beginning and end of the school years, and Chinese costumes are mainly collected and distributed shortly before and after events where students wear them.
- Yearbook : Work with MIMS staff to plan, create, order, and distribute the yearbook.
- Sports & Sports Booster
- Academic & Character Support/ MIMS Store